What is Management Information system?
It is an infrastructure that is widely used in businesses and other corporations at a large level which is comprise of software and hardware. It is computerized management system. It is shortly presented as MIS.
It is a particular one among the components of Information System, which is design for the supporting of routine operations of the company through data set, management methods and computing technological devices. It helps in generating reports on the operations at different stages or levels of company storing and then organizing the information relating financial matters through its database.
The MIS is able of the following activities:
- The internal and the external information of the business can be better utilized through MIS data analysis.
- The MIS could assist a business in better implementation of new media strategy socially.
- MIS helps in the better organization of the benefits of employees.
- If the usage of IT in a company is roughly applied or outdated, it inform about it to the users.
What are the types of MIS?
There are the following types of MIS
- Executive Support System (ESS): used by senior manager for making decisions at strategic level.
- Decision Support System (DSS): deals with the useful information that is essential for making good decisions.
- Operations Information System (OIS): deals with the data organization and summarization for the use of managers.
- Transaction Processing System (TPS): deals with the daily transactions.
What are the functional areas of MIS?
The major areas of functionality of MIS are:
- Sales: sales reports, growth comparisons, company statistics
- Marketing: CRM
- Finance: cash management, budget planning, financial reporting
- Accounting: financial statements
- Operations: operations research
- Human resources: coordination with work units
- Information Technology services
What are the user categories of MIS?
The information requirements of consumers of MIS vary, mainly categorized as:
- Operational consumers: The consumers comprise mainly of front line managers in any organization. They need this system for their routinely tasks.
- Managerial consumers: The consumers who are the middle level managers in the organizations require this system.
- Strategic consumers: This system is used by the consumers who are the top level managers or executives etc.
How MIS is helping small businesses?
At the start and still in some areas technology is limited and therefore seldom available for small businesses. However, some small businesses are struggling and as we know that technology is essential for survival of businesses. Now a days, MIS is becoming more and more available to small businesses through its novel services and the explicit ways of providing those services. The easiest way for small businesses to acquire these services is by outsourcing. Now the small businesses are virtually outsourcing their MIS needs, of sales, accounting or whatever area.
What is Information Technology?
The information technology is defined as the type of technology that is employed in the development, usage and maintaining of computerized systems, networks and software for data processing and distribution of data.
In simple words, information technology is all about computers and computer technology which include hardware and software, and interactions of internet.
If a company has a strong grip on its IT, having best framework and technicians, it becomes easier for it to create, adjust and incorporate a better MIS.
What are the components of information technology?
The five components of IT are as below:
- Computer Hardware: the physical devices which maybe as small as microphone and as large as super computer, include peripheral devices such as keyboard, printer etc. as well.
- Computer Software: for commanding hardware, what to do and what to not do, software comes, include system software and application software.
- Telecommunications: it is for the connecting of hardware. It could be by wires as optical fibers and by wireless as Wi-Fi.
- Databases and data warehouses: the place for storing and collecting data, which can be queried to retrieve. Warehouse contains data in the order that the organization require.
- Human resources and procedure: it is the last and the most essential component of information system. The people who run the system and the procedures they adopt, so that the information can be turned into important knowledge and then proceeds for interpretation.
Among these five components, the first four are essential for making the platform of IT. The last component that is human resource or people run this IT by using these components and form IS.
What are the types of jobs IT can provide?
In the field of IT, six different jobs are there to avail:
- Technical support
- Web developers
- Computer system analysts
- IT security
- Network Engineer
What are the core functions of IT?
- For the production of timely and useful information and efficient data processing, IT introduces computerized systems of information and maintains them.
- For the purpose of automation, hardware, software, communication and networking infrastructure are provided.
- It provides security from hackers and other viruses, maximum confidentiality and its integrity at a highest level.
- It ensures that the environment for computing is safe, secure and reliable.
- The systems are available and recoverable at a highest degree.
What is the difference between management information system and information technology?
The management information system is a large system infrastructure that is made for the large businesses and organizations. It has its use in the decision making and the data coordination and analysis of information.
The information technology is a part of the large management information system for the collection and transmission of data. It helps in dealing with all the systems in management information system and supporting them.
For MIS of large corporates and businesses, IT is a subset to support all the functions of all these systems. However, this does not limit the areas and narrows the scope of IT, in other areas IT has even broader scopes. The functions of IT can fit into the large systems of MIS but the same cannot be necessarily said about MIS.
The professionals of both MIS and IT, mostly spend their time in troubleshooting and for the adjustments of software.
Apart from computer processes, it has generally unfocussed scope, though if focused, specific ends would results.